Friday, October 8, 2010

I Have An Interview!!!!!

I know it has been forever since I posted on here, but I am going to make up for it by giving you a juicy update!

First, I turned in my application (complete with submitted recommendations) on September 25th. Despite my extensive research, I was surprised to find that there was additional legal paperwork that I needed to submit. My recruiter sent it to me in the mail a few days later. I had to go to the Sheriff's Office to get finger prints done for an FBI background check, sign a privacy waiver, and write a letter detailing my financial obligations (and how I will address them during my deployment).

My recruiter called me today to tell me that everything is looking good, and that she wanted to schedule my interview for this coming Wednesday, October 13th at the Seattle Regional Office! Remember how I said that I could be sent as early as March? Well, she asked if I'd even consider being nominated for February. I told her March was the earliest because I needed more time to prepare. I'm really excited, and reallllly nervous!

From what I have read, the interview is structured like a job interview....for a two year job abroad. They judge you on your leadership/work experience, passion, maturity, cultural competency, etc. My recruiter sent me some sample topics they will cover:

1. your reasons for considering Peace Corps Volunteer service

2. your expectations and concerns about working overseas for two years

3. your past work experiences, including volunteer service, paid employment, and campus or community involvement

4. your experiences living and working with people who are different from you

5. your preferences and flexibility about Peace Corps Volunteer assignments and geographic placement

6. personal life issues such as vegetarianism, current romantic relationships, and current financial or legal obligations

I need to get a job ASAP because even though they supply you with a living stipend during deployment, you still need your own money to pay bills at home, take vacations, etc. I will also have to buy some required equipment before I go.

In regard to the application process, the next step after the recruitment interview is getting a nomination. The recruiter who nominates you will assess your skills, then either tell you to get more experience or nominate you for placement. That nomination gets sent to headquarters in Washington, D.C., I then have to do more legal and medical paperwork (specific to that region) to see if I would be eligible to go. After that, I wait for an invitation from headquarters. This all depends on your competitive skill set, openings for placement, and your departure availability. When I get an offer in the mail, I have ten days to respond. They can send me an invitation for something up to six weeks before the departure date!

I actually got my first update e-mail/blog post from my friend, Kara, who left for the Vanuatu Islands on September 10th. It is soooo interesting, and makes me really excited about my own opportunities! If you want to check it out, CLICK HERE! She's learning their national language called Bislama, which is a form of Pidgin English, and there are "Trouser Taxes" for women when they are caught wearing pants or shorts at any time!

I'm going to spend the weekend doing Peace Corps interview research, and freaking out about where I might go! LOL. I will make sure to post how my interview went ASAP :)

No comments:

Post a Comment