Thursday, October 14, 2010

Peace Corps Essay #1: Why Does Kayla Want To Join The Peace Corps?

Since I didn't deliver any exciting news about my interview, here's another treat...

Peace Corps service presents major physical, emotional, and intellectual challenges. You have provided information on how you qualify for Peace Corps service elsewhere in the application. In the space below, please provide a statement (between 250 - 500 words) that includes:

  • Your reasons for wanting to serve as a Peace Corps Volunteer; and
  • How these reasons are related to your past experiences and life goals.
  • How you expect to satisfy the Peace Corps 10 Core Expectations (please be specific about which expectations you expect to find most challenging and how you plan to overcome these challenges).

Since my undergraduate experience, I have been embarking on a long and enlightening journey of self discovery and identity development. The more research I do, both on a personal and scholastic level, the more socially conscious I become. As my knowledge about the experiences and struggles of others increase, so does my realization about the privileges I have been bestowed. Subsequently, I developed a sense of social responsibility, which I perceive to be a blessing. A firm believer that one is either part of the solution or part of the problem, I see being a Peace Corps volunteer as a step in the right direction toward contribution to social change.

The first step toward making a difference has been stripping away my prejudices, and opening up to what others are willing to teach me. As stated in the Core Expectations for Volunteers, I am ready to immerse myself in the culture of others. Surpassing the “us” and “them” mentality, I will make the commitment to live and work abroad while exchanging stories and skills with the local residents. I want to understand the unique fundamental concerns that need to be addressed from the best possible source—the people who experience them everyday. From understanding comes awareness, and awareness breeds activism.

Though I anticipate it may be difficult adapting to new living conditions, which is the third of the Core Expectations for Volunteers, my motivations take priority over any desire to avoid discomfort. I pride myself in my ability to maintain a positive and professional view of myself and others, and trust that the vulnerability of being outside of my comfort zone will help me create respectful and multilateral relationships with those around me.

I have a deep passion and desire to help others, which is reflected in my experiences, but I do not fit the mold of the “traditional” role of a grassroots activist. The Peace Corps mission gives me a sense of empowerment in this regard through the presentation of multifaceted opportunities, embracing contributions from all walks of life.

It is impossible to anticipate the experiences that serving as a Peace Corps volunteer will bring. What I do know, however, is that I will return with a greater consciousness and a more global perspective. The influential medical researcher, Alan Gregg, put it best saying, “A good education should leave much to be desired.” Upon my return, I plan to pursue my desire by attending law school and applying what I have learned as I enter public service.

2 comments:

  1. I love your blog! It is really informative especially as I begin to embark on the Peace Corps application process. Have you departed already? If so, where?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in the middle of my application and I am having a tough time with the Multi Cultural essay, I can not possibly get it below 650 words. Will it affect my chances?

    ReplyDelete